Friday, March 18, 2011

Headboard Project


I posted inspirations for a custom hand painted headboard on my post "No headboard, No Problem" and I decided to finally get working on my own! Here are pics from my in home project and my progression. 
I hope my steps help you get started! :D

Step 1: Paint wall. I decided to tape off the center section of my bedroom wall to make the purple really stand out...I will be paining either side a light camel color and then the other walls a dark chocolate. This project however I am focusing on the headboard, therefore just showing you the purple for now...
Step 2: I taped off the basic starting shape for the headboard.  Most will be free hand but I wanted to be sure the base was straight. Tip: The blue tape will bleed a little bit. If you can find the green "frog tape", use that instead!
Step 3:  Color in with black acrylic paint. Take note where you want your spaces. Obviously where the tape is, is where the spaces will be. Your shape can differ greatly- use your imagination! :D
Step 4: Wait for the paint to dry! Acrylic paint doesn't take long, so if you are impatient like me, that's a good thing. Once dry, you can remove the tape to reveal the beginning of your new headboard.
Step 5: I'm creating the posts first and decided to use a fleurdelis shape. Use CHALK to design on the wall. This allows you to wipe off with water VERY EASILY if you mess up. If you are not a drawer, you can use simple shapes such as circles which can be just as beautiful in their simplicity!
Step 6: A closer look at the post and you can see where I am expanding the post shape as well.











Step 7: Draw out the rest of your design with chalk. Use a damp rag to erase. Trying to get the scrolly designs to match on both sides took me awhile and a lot of trial/error and more measuring than I enjoy, but the end result is rewarding. I want the headboard to appear as if it were a real 3D item, so I added structural designs I have seen on actual iron headboards. You could create something similar or let your imagination run wild!

Step 8: PAINT! You can use an array of brush sizes to achieve your ideal design. Can be as simple as just following the lines or get detailed and crazy! :D

FINISHED! I added a little gold paint to the posts and the center for a little color, along with a little detail shadowing



No comments:

Post a Comment

hotel Cumberland
Powered by Best Free Counters