Sunday, March 20, 2011

Jewelry Tree


Expanding on the unexpected jewelry display, I wanted to create a truly unexpected display in which I personally have never seen before. The idea came to me in a dream about a year ago, and I am now ready to make the dream a reality. The goal is a simple black scrolly "Jewelry Tree" that goes along with my headboard and damask style pieces within the room. I will then hammer in nails "on" the tree and then hang my necklaces from them. I would also like to find (cut in half and nail to the wall) or create a birdcage which can house my earrings.

If you love this idea and want me to create something similar for your home, contact me at kristinaking.net

Step 1: Prep/Paint the wall.
You want to be sure your wall is clean and dry. I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers for those tuff unknown spots. They get out ANYTHING, even if they look clean, I recommend wiping the wall anyway to be sure. Make sure it is dry before you start painting.
I chose a deep chocolate brown, which some may believe to be too dark for a bedroom as darker colors are known to make a room feel smaller, but I think the chocolate is fantastic and if used on one wall can actually expand the a room if used right. The wall I am painting is directly across from my bed wall where I created the purple accent/headboard on. It spans the entire length of my room and houses the television unit at the far corner and dresser therefore the chocolate is broken up by key elements within the room. I am hoping the black I want to use for the tree stands out enough against the chocolate with the low lighting I have in my room. We shall see.

Step 2: Wait for the paint to dry:
Possibly MY biggest challenge is step 2. I am very much an instant gratification kinda girl, so when I want to do something, I want to do it NOW and don't want to wait for silly things like paint drying...I want to move onto Step 3 but can't until the wall is completely dry....BOO!


Step 2a: Find the Tree shape you want:
While waiting for the paint to dry, use the technology at your finger tips to Google images and find the perfect inspiration for your tree. You can go so many ways! There are the super scrolly/girly trees, the more realistic, the minimilist trees with very little branches, the windy looking tree which leans one way, the oak, the willow, the cartoony...you can add birds, leaves...think about exactly what you want now so when the paint is finally dry you can get right to work!

 
Step 3: Start drawing the outline of your tree with chalk. I was debating whether I wanted a scrolly tree or a willow tree and finally chose a willow because I felt it made more sense to hang jewelry from. I also decided to add some birdcages to incorporate those [unexpected jewelry display] re purposed shower caddy shelves which I use to hang my earrings from.

Step 4: Paint!
I will be sticking to the minimalist/silhouette styling, but you can go more detailed/colored if so desired! Just a reminder, I can do all these steps FOR YOU if you live in Southern California! Check out my website for pricing and contact info: kristinaking.net



Step 5: Wait for paint to dry (again)
Acrylic paint doesn't take very long to dry and you can even speed up the process with a fan if you are impatient.

Step 6: Remove chalk lines
Using a damp rag, gently rub your wall to remove any showing chalk lines.

Step 7: Hammer in nails on your tree
I want a sporadic look so there is no measuring here...I just hammered in general nails randomly on the tree so when I hang my necklaces they appear as branches hanging on the tree.

Step 6:  Decorate your tree
Place your jewelry on the nails to decorate your tree, and your done! :D
For the bird cages, I used those shower caddy shelves I had up before and they now become the top of the cages:




No comments:

Post a Comment

hotel Cumberland
Powered by Best Free Counters