Thursday, April 7, 2011

Candle Holder=Chandelier


You may be asking yourself, "How can a candle holder be a chandelier?"
Well, once I found this black, swirly, metal candle holder on the clearance rack of my local Ross I couldn't pass up it's charm and shape. It automatically reminded me of a chandelier (which I've wanted for so long but couldn't bring myself to spend $100+) and with the price tag of only $2.50 It inspired me to create my own.
WARNING: To be honest though, I am really not exactly sure if it's intended purpose was for candles, but it was in the 'home' section and I can't think of any other possible purpose. I did try to find a similar picture online to my finding and wasn't able to....could be a tea cup holder? Banana Hanger? I'm not sure!

Here is the beginning image of the item....
Once the base was removed, we punched a hole (well, I had my dad do it) and he put a string through (which will either be painted black later or completely removed, but don't tell dad cause he thought he did so well :P heheh
The next step will be embellishing! Off to thrift shop, bead shops and anywhere else I can find bobbles to decorate my "chandelier" :)

I just couldn't wait to gather items to bedazzle, so I went over to my local craft shop, JoAnn's and spent $30 on beads and crystals. Beads aren't cheap, but I figured for a one of a kind, handmade item I will treasure, it's a fair price to pay! I brought everything home and got setup:
The process has been fun! I started with the center, adding a small chain to hang the chandelier from and then the center crystals from which I would build around...

My next step was the bottom. Since I was eager to get this thing looking like a chandelier, I wanted that droopy chain look...

Then I put more beads on a string, tied them around the center and it's coming into shape now!
Next I need to find a way to add tiny beads all around...I think some hot glue will be necessary!.....

For an additional feminine touch, I had these black bow charms laying around, so attached them on the bottom chains...

With beads outlining the entire piece, and crystals hanging, it's ready to be hung...

I'd like to find some kind of light kit someday, but for now it will hang in my room as is :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

hotel Cumberland
Powered by Best Free Counters