Monday, March 28, 2011

DIY: Handmade Baby Gifts



I make an effort to create unique gifts for my friends and family when they are expecting and for the day(s) just after their new bundles of joy.
Most people buy the NEWBORN size clothes for baby showers becuase, lets face it, they are just so darn cute! But resist your urge and create in different sizes, so the child has something to wear after they turn 2 weeks old. Some babies actually never fit into the newborn size...so I go for the 3-6 months and then a couple items even larger so they have a personal item later one.....









I have made countless onsies, burp cloths, receiving blankets, socks and bibs personalized to fit my friends/families' personal interests, all with just a couple fabric markers and inexpensive garments (Check your local dollar store!)

I use:
Fabric Markers
Inexpensive clothing items (Dollar Tree)
I have used an embroidery machine and sewing machine as well


I also try to create a welcome announcement sign for the front lawn; a cute, personal touch that makes the homecoming super special! These take a little prep work and of course you need to know the parents well in order to complete the sign with the new babies name and information, that is if you want to include the info. Some people don't want to announce all that info to the public, so make sure the parents are okay with whatever information you do include!

I use:
Cardboard
Markers
Ribbon
Paint

I also love making room additions. Make sure you know the parent's intended theme or colors of the nursery and with just a few supplies you likely have laying around, you can create something like this:

I included the names of the parents and baby with a couple other loving words to describe their lives together. With a little thinking and planning, I came up with a crossword type pattern, which was perfect for this smart couple!

I used: 
Shadow box (on sale at JoAnn's)
Letter beads (I want to find a bunch of scrabble pieces for my next one)
Ribbon
Colored Paper
Exacto-knife
Glue
Marker

I sell these and other items thru my Etsy store. Check em out! :D


I also am available for belly art and photography to capture the last couple weeks of your pregnancy! Imagination, some water based paint, a camera and some smiles and viola! You can have a treasured and and lasting memory! (Plus an hour or so to  
really relax!) It is also proven that the strokes of the paintbrush are soothing for the baby!
You can use the experience to enhance your baby shower too!

Check out my website !

2 comments:

hotel Cumberland
Powered by Best Free Counters